Keen work boots are consistent, protective, comfortable, and long-lasting.
They perform as expected on a worksite and they’re made to last. Keen’s consistency has never wavered whether you are talking about its medium or light duty boot types. The brand has always been at the forefront in terms of safety, waterproofness, traction, electrical hazard protection, and underfoot cushioning.
But the Keen work boots lineup has grown, whether you are looking for steel or soft toe design. This can make choosing the best model for your specific use a challenge. So, in my top six Keen work boots reviews, I took into account all the important features you have been looking for.
Here are Our Keen Work Boot Reviews:
|1. Keen Utility Men’s Lansing Mid Steel Toe Work Boot||Check Current Price|
|2. Keen Utility Men’s Flint II Low Soft Toe Work Shoe||Check Current Price|
|3. Keen Utility Women’s Detroit XT Low Steel Toe Work Boot||Check Current Price|
|4. Keen Women’s Targhee Vent Mid Hiking Work Boot||Check Current Price|
|5. Keen Utility Men’s Braddock Low Soft Toe Work Boot||Check Current Price|
|6. Keen Utility Men’s Pittsburgh 6-Inch Steel Toe Work Boot||Check Current Price|
1. Keen Utility Men’s Lansing Mid Steel Toe Work Boot — Best Keen Boots
The ultimate best men’s work boot from Keen. It holds up pretty well to wear and tear, making it ideal for construction, maintenance, and transportation.
- Medium duty boot type
- Steel safe toe
- Waterproof leather and mesh upper
- Compression-molded EVA midsole
- Electrical hazard rated
This boot is built with a ton of comfort features and that’s because Keen is famous for their utility work boots. The Lancing Mid is proof of that.
The Lancing Mid has a larger toe box, that’s important because your toes need to move and flex without feeling restricted. The boot has a unique asymmetrical steel toe protection design, which means you are protected from your big toe to your little toe. It also has a waterproof membrane, which is designed to let vapor out, but no water can get in the shoe. So, the shoe breathes and protects, which is what you want at work.
The sole is made of rubber and it provides great oil and slip-resistance as well as electric shock resistance. The tongue and collar are padded to improve fit and comfort. You’ve also got an innovative pull tab at the heel counter for quick put-on.
What seems disappointing about this shoe is the weight.
- Asymmetrical steel toe cap offers superior protection
- Highly breathable and waterproof design
- Rubber sole provides excellent oil and slip-resistance
- ESR rated design will protect you from electric shocks
- Generously padded for maximum support and comfort
- It’s a little bit heavy due to the steel toe
- Limited color options are available
This is a great utility work boot that ticks a lot of boxes for anybody looking for comfort, a great fit, ideal protection, and a good-looking 6-inch design.
Overall Rating: 4.9
2. Keen Utility Men’s Flint II Low Soft Toe Work Shoe — The Multi-Purpose One
Have you been looking for a multi-purpose boot that is engineered to be responsive? The Flint II from Keen is that boot.
- Water-resistant leather and mesh upper
- Soft toe design
- KEEN.ReGEN compression-resisting midsole
- Non-marking rubber outsole
- Electrical hazard rated design
This multi-purpose shoe from Keen Utility is engineered for heavy-duty work where stability and safety are required. It has an innovative asymmetrical soft toe that meets the minimum safety standards. It comes with a mesh and leather upper with a weaving lace-up for a tight fit. The upper is integrated with breathable mesh inserts throughout to give you enhanced airflow.
There is a soft and breathable lining on the inside to give you that hugging feeling when working. You’ve got a contour heel lock to provide shellback heel support.
What I truly appreciate about this boot is the KEEN.ReGEN technology in the midsole that is lightweight and compression resistant. It adds comfort and a 50 percent energy return with every step you take. Also, you get a metatomical PU footbed that provides superior support and comfort for the first metatarsal joint.
But there is a chance of receiving a model that runs small by roughly an inch.
- It’s water-resistant and highly breathable
- Improved tread design for superior slip rating
- Offers superior energy return, support, and comfort
- Reflective webbing ensures you are visible in low light
- Provides secondary electrical shock protection
- Some sizes tend to run small by an inch
- Could be better if reinforced with a secondary crush resistance
Reenergize your workday with the Flint II Low. A work boot that guarantees support and comfort. But make sure you get a size that fits snugly.
Overall Rating: 4.7
3. Keen Utility Women’s Detroit XT Low Steel Toe Work Boot — The Best Women’s Model
Ladies! Bring a definitive outdoor look to your worksite with the Women’s Detroit XT from Keen Utility.
- Leather and textile upper
- Medium duty type boot
- Steel safety toe design
- KEEN.KEY-TECH FLEX technology
- Internal metatarsal guard
This outdoor-inspired boot design features a leather and textile upper, which is great because it is water-resistant and breathable. This is going to help keep your feet dry and comfy. It has a lace-up closure and lots of padding in the tongue and collar for achieving a snug fit. On the inside, you have a textile lining that’s soft to the touch and moisture-wicking.
I appreciate the KEEN.KEY-TECH FLEX underfoot cushioning, which provides sturdy support for tackling uneven surfaces and helps reduce foot fatigue. The contoured TPU insole offers unmatched torsion stability and shank support.
But the thing is, the steel toe cap makes the boot heavy and it provides a tighter fit before you break in the shoe.
- Advanced flexibility makes for easy knee-down work
- Rubber outsole provides industry-leading slip-resistance
- Offer superior torsion stability and shank support
- The ergonomic steel toe offers maximum protection
- Great for preventing foot fatigue during long shifts
- It is a little bit heavy for some women
- May provide a tighter fit before you completely break it in
It’s rare to find a steel toe boot for women that’s packed with support and comfort features like the Women’s Detroit XT.
Overall Rating: 4.6
4. Keen Women’s Targhee Vent Mid Hiking Work Boot — Best Women’s Hiking and Work Shoes
The go-to hiking and work boot for warm climates. Targhee Vent Mid from Keen is designed to offer unmatched support and comfort for the outdoors and worksite.
- Nubuck leather upper
- All-terrain rubber outsole
- Cleansport NXT technology
- Compression-molded dual-density EVA midsole
- Dual-density Metatomical EVA footbed
The Targhee Vent Mid from Keen is a great mid-weight boot that will not only improve your traction but also keep your foot comfortable all day.
A water-resistant and breathable lining keeps you cool and dry even through the most demanding worksites. The oiled nubuck upper combines the durability of oiled leather and the soft nubuck surface to provide superior water resistance and a hugging fit. The shoe features Cleansport NXT technology, which is great because it provides natural odor control.
A removable metatomical footbed provides excellent foot support along with the ESS shank for lightweight stability. That’s an elaborative way to let you know that the boot prevents the twisting of the ankle.
But some sizes may run large even for women with wider feet.
- Highly breathable and water-resistant
- Lots of support to prevent twisting of the ankle
- Speed lace system fits snugly on top of your foot
- The rubber outsole offers high traction grip
- Dual-density padding offers superior support and comfort
- Some sizes tend to run large
- The tongue may appear small for some women
The Targhee Vent Mid works well on the hiking trail and worksite. It is also comfortable enough to wear around town.
Overall Rating: 4.4
5. Keen Utility Men’s Braddock Low Soft Toe Work Boot — Best for Indoor Use
Complete with a non-marking, oil-resistant, and slip-resistant rubber outsole, Braddock from Keen makes for a great indoor work boot.
- Leather and textile upper
- Patented steel toe protection
- KEEN.Grip rubber outsole
- Metatomical footbed design
- Integrated heel cushion
This durable American-made work boot features a nubuck leather upper and the KEEN.DRY waterproof breathable membrane. Besides being highly breathable, the upper is going to keep the wet elements out to ensure that your foot is dry and comfortable. You’ve got that extra thick soft toe and integrated heel cushion for added protection on the job site.
It has a lot of flexibility with that direct-attached polyurethane midsole, which also gives you tons of lightweight shock absorption. Another good feature is the thermoplastic polyurethane shank for midfoot support.
What I don’t Like is the fact that the boot is not compatible with most aftermarket orthotics or insoles.
- It is made in America with the finest materials
- The outsole is non-marking, slip-resistant, and oil-resistant
- Provides superior arch and shank support
- The upper is breathable and water-resistant
- Has superior integrated odor control
- Not compatible with aftermarket orthotics or insoles
- The insert tends to wear faster
This is the work boot you need for your indoor job site, whether it’s car building, welding, or grinding. Its slip and oil resistance are impeccable.
Overall Rating: 4.4
6. Keen Utility Men’s Pittsburgh 6-Inch Steel Toe Work Boot — The Most Popular Keen Boots
This is a boot that is well-known for its performance in masonry, utilities, energy, maintenance, construction, transportation, and landscaping.
- Waterproof nubuck leather upper
- Heavy-duty PU midsole
- Non-marking, oil-resistant, and slip-resistant
- Asymmetrical safety toe
- Metatomical footbed design
This steel-toe boot has a waterproof leather upper with a breathable membrane on the inside to help keep your foot cool, dry, and comfortable. It has an asymmetrical safety toe cap that provides a roomier toe box for maximum comfort. The footbed features a metatomical design, which provides good arch support.
The shoe has a polyurethane five-point midsole construction that will give you great lateral stability, comfort, and flexibility. At the bottom, you’ve got an oil and slip-resistant outsole that is also non-marking.
My main concern about this boot is that it doesn’t have long-term durability. The sole also tends to wear out faster.
- It’s highly breathable and waterproof
- Offers great lateral support and heel stability
- Its forefoot stone bruising protection is impeccable
- Asymmetrical safety toe offers a roomier toe box
- Great slip and oil-resistance
- The sole tends to wear out faster
- It isn’t the most durable option for the money
If you want a boot that can take a beating for a few months and still provide the support, comfort, and protection you need, the Pittsburgh is a good choice.
Overall Rating: 4.3
About The Keen Brand
A Brief History
Keen is a fairly new shoe company that was started in 2003 by Rory Fuerst and Martin Keen. The brand’s first footwear included the Keen shoes and sandals that featured a protective black toe bumper. The company later expanded to include safety work footwear, cold weather footwear, casual footwear, clothing, and bags.
How Keen Sets Itself Apart
The brand’s popularity, especially in the United States grew when they opened the Keen factory in Portland.
The brand has some of the best designers in footwear manufacturing in the world. Having started with a tried-and-true element with its outdoor hiking footwear, it was a seamless transition into what the company can provide in terms of steel toe or soft toe hiking and work boots.
Frequently Asked Questions (Keen Footwear)
1. Where are Keen boots made?
Most of the Keen works boots are made in Portland (Oregon) in the United States. But the materials are normally sourced from outside the US. When buying from the brand for the first you will hear claims that the boots are American built. That’s mostly true because the craftsmanship and quality of the construction are American-based.
2. Do Keen boots run true to size?
Most Keen work boots tend to run wide probably because most of its sizes are wide. You might have to size down by 0.5 to get a snug fit.
3. Do all Keen work boots come with a steel toe?
Keen produces work boots with different toe cap designs, which include steel toe, composite toe, aluminum toe, and no safety toe. So, apart from steel toe boots, you have other options at your disposal.
This Portland-based brand has vowed to make your life easier at your worksite with its unique line of work boots. It manufactures boosts for the toughest jobs out there, such as construction and masonry among others. The boots are American built; so, you will be able to wear them with pride. The craftsmanship and quality featured in Keen work boots are incredible.
The proprietary features of each Keen work boot promise you the best performance at a job site. Not forgetting that these boots meet and exceed the minimum safety standards. The brand’s flagship model is Keen Utility Men’s Lansing Mid Steel Toe Work Boot. Work footwear that is revolutionizing the industry.