Unfortunately, for those who suffer from plantar fasciitis (and we’re not just lightly throwing around the word suffer, here), without the best walking shoes for plantar fasciitis, it’s impossible to stay on our feet all day.
The problem is, many spend most of their time on their feet, especially those with jobs that demand it, and taking a day off is just not an option.
The good news is, with some treatment, some easy DIY physical therapy, and with the right shoes, you can help keep plantar fasciitis in check and get on with it! That’s why we’ve put together this…
The Best Walking Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis Are:
|1. Skechers Women's D'Lites Memory Foam Lace-up Sneaker||Check Current Price|
|2. ASICS Women's GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe||Check Current Price|
|3. Gravity Defyer Proven Pain Relief Women's G-Defy Mighty Walk||Check Current Price|
|4. Orthofeet Proven Plantar Fasciitis, Foot and Heel Pain Relief||Check Current Price|
|5. New Balance Women's FuelCore Nergize V1 Sneaker||Check Current Price|
|6. Adidas Women's Cloudfoam QT Racer Xpressive-Contemporary Cloudfoam Running Sneakers Shoes||Check Current Price|
|7. Saucony Women's Cohesion 10 Running Shoe||Check Current Price|
|8. Skechers Women's Go Walk Joy Walking Shoe||Check Current Price|
|9. Slow Man Women's Walking Shoes Sock Sneakers Mesh Slip-On Air||Check Current Price|
1. Skechers Women’s D’Lites Memory Foam Lace-up Sneaker — Best Walking Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis
Skechers has really stepped up (ha! puns!) and took the lead in designing shoes for comfort, particularly for people who need some extra love in the foot care department. Well, they’ve done it again with the Skechers D’Lites line of sneakers.
The thicker, shock-absorbent soles keep you light all day with a spring in your step, but the air-cooled memory foam insoles support your arches and relieve the aches that come with plantar fasciitis.
With a deep heel cup, the ¼ inch the heel is cushioned enough for lots of standing and walking, but still provides the firm support you’re looking for. This shoe also features a padded collar and tongue for great ankle support, as well as mobility stabilization so you won’t have to worry about turning an ankle.
- Available in 38 styles and colors
- Materials: Leather and synthetic
- Rubber soles
- Available in sizes 5-11
- Great arch support for long hours on your feet
- Good walking shoe
- The sole is thick and provides extra height
- Excellent, true-to-size fit
- Comes in lots of stylish colors
- Available in wide sizes
- Some reported the shoes fell apart too easily with lots of use
- Some said the memory foam insoles made the shoes uncomfortable
- Some reported the shoes ran too small for their size
2. ASICS Women’s GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe — Best Walking Shoes, Plantar Fasciitis, Runner-Up
The ASICS GEL-Venture number 5 running shoe has many of the great features of the number 6, with a few minor differences: Wider, more rounded toe (which a lot of people love), tongue is less padded, runs larger, and has a deep heel cup, but more heel support.
More heel support means a lot better fit for those looking for plantar fasciitis relief. The ASICS Women’s GEL Venture 5 features the same GEL rearfoot cushioning as other ASICS shoes of this line, and a great insole designed for extra arch support.
The foam sockliner insole is also removable in this shoe for washing or inserting specialized orthotics if necessary. The no-slip tread on the ASICS GEL-5 is just as home on rugged terrain as it is on concrete or indoor floors. If you’ve got plantar fasciitis, and you’re on your feet all day, this is the shoe for you.
- Materials: Synthetic upper, rubber sole
- Available in 10 different styles and colors
- Available in sizes 6-11
- Wider toe box for more space
- Great arch support for plantar fasciitis
- Lots of cushioning in the soles for long days and long walks
- Features a loop on the heel for easy removal
- The design is attractive, and the availability of cute colors make them stylish as well as functional
- Some wearers reported this model seemed to run large
- Some said they didn’t feature adequate ankle support
- Some owners said the shoe was uncomfortable and never “broke in”
The Gravity Defyer Women’s G-Defy Mighty Walk is made with Gravity Defyer’s patented VersoShock Technology, absorbing shock and transforming into spring at every step.
They’re made specifically for those who have foot problems that make ordinary shoes uncomfortable to wear, particularly those with issues of plantar fasciitis, diabetes-induced issues, or problems like bunions, corns, and hammertoe, to name just a few.
The front rocker-shaped sole and supported midfoot design relieve the painful symptoms of plantar fasciitis, and can even prevent it when worn regularly. The soft interior prevents blisters, and removable insoles allow for the insertion of custom orthotic supports.
- Materials: Fabric, Synthetic, Rubber
- Available In 8 Colors
- Available In Sizes 6-11 Extra Wide
- Available in wide and extra-wide sizes to accommodate a variety of foot shapes and sizes
- Specifically designed to wear by those with foot issues such as plantar fasciitis
- Thicker midsoles and front rocker-shaped soles support arches with every step
- Patented VersoShock soles for premium shock absorption
- Soft, lined insoles provide comfort and protection against blisters
- Removable insoles for orthotic inserts if needed
- Some said the shoe didn’t provide enough cushion for long-term wear
- Some wearers thought the shoe was too bulky
- Some said they were heavy for all-day wear
The Orthofeet line of walking shoes comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee. If you wear their shoes and after sixty days aren’t satisfied, they’ll send you your money back with free shipping and returns, no questions asked.
This should show as a testament to the fact that they stand behind their product and quality, and thousands of people with foot problems agree. If you’ve got foot and heel pain caused by plantar fasciitis, these shoes deliver the much-needed relief you need.
They feature an ergonomically designed footbed and lightweight soles for serious cushioning to provide all-day comfort and wear you need for being on your feet either for work or play.
These amazing walking shoes relieve pain not just in your feet, but all the way to your lower back if you suffer from plantar fasciitis caused by inferior support for flat feet pronation.
Soft, flexible upper provides support without rubbing or resistance yet provides enough stability for all-day walking. They also feature removable insoles for orthotics inserts if needed.
- Materials: 100% Synthetic Upper, Rubber Sole
- Available In 3 Different Colors
- Available In 5-12 Extra wide
- Ultra supportive design especially for plantar fasciitis support
- Stability in the sole and upper provide support for flat feet and pronation
- Padded heel and collar for ankle support and comfort
- Fantastic 60-day, 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee
- Extra cushioned insole and deep ankle cup provide relief for plantar fasciitis
- Some wearers said the shoe wore out pretty quickly after a couple of uses.
- Some buyers said the shoes didn’t run true to size
- Some said the heel was too stiff and took too long to break in
New Balance is another brand often recommended to those with plantar fasciitis for its superior cushioning and arch supports, and, in particular, the FuelCore Nergize V1 does the job with style.
Featuring specialized REVlite midsoles designed for super lightweight, yet supportive cushioning, and the specialized insert is designed for more padding than other FuelCore Nergize sneakers models.
The fashionable style of this shoe includes mesh uppers, offering the right flexibility to fit the shape of your foot. They also make these shoes so lightweight, you’ll feel like you’re walking on air all day.
- Materials: Synthetic upper, rubber sole
- Available in sizes 5-12, including wide options
- Available in 39 different colors and styles
- Super lightweight mesh upper
- Mesh upper conforms to hug your foot for the perfect fit
- The inner mesh sockliner is removable for orthotic inserts if needed
- The flexible mesh upper makes this shoe easy to slide off and on
- True to size for a traditional running shoe
- Great arch supports and sturdy sole for plantar fasciitis
- Some buyers reported the soles came apart from the uppers after only a few wears
- Some wearers reported the shoes didn’t offer adequate ankle support
- Some said they were uncomfortable and made their feet hurt after a couple of hours of wearing them
Adidas has been a trusted name in athletic shoes for decades and they know what it takes to design a line of shoes for every kind of foot. The Adidas Women’s Cloudfoam QT Racer is among that line of great shoes.
The Cloudfoam feature on this shoe makes it feel like you’re running on, well, clouds, and the high back and padded collar make them great for ankle stability.
The insoles are built to take a beating, and will hold up to even the longest days on your feet. These are suited perfectly for those with plantar fasciitis, helping to ease the long-term discomfort it’s so commonly associated with.
- Materials: Knit Textile Upper With Rubber Soles
- Available in 20 Different Colors and Styles
- Available In Sizes 5 to 11 ½ Wide
- Features a lightweight design for an easy stride
- These shoes come in a variety of sizes, including wide sizes
- Suitable for running as well as walking, or just standing for long periods
- Padded collar and tongue provide extra foot and ankle support
- Adidas is a trusted name in athletic shoes
- Some said the rubber sole began to detach from the shoe soon after wearing
- Some reported the insoles weren’t comfortable after lots of wear
- Some said they came in the wrong size
- Some reported the sole flattened quickly after wear
Another great shoe from Saucony, the Women’s Cohesion 10 running shoe is perfect for those who need support, cushion, and breathability. If you’ve got plantar fasciitis, this shoe offers an excellent padded insole, and a mesh upper for breathability and comfort.
Despite the lug sole built to take whatever impact you can dish out, including a no-slip tread for trail running, the shoe is surprisingly flexible.These running shoes aren’t just for running, they’re also fantastic for everyday wear and for walking.
- Materials: Mesh Upper, Rubber Sole
- Available in sizes 6-11 Wide
- Comes in 12 Colors and Styles
- The Saucony Women’s Cohesion 10 is great for running, jogging, and everyday wear
- Features a durable and supportive design for lasting wear
- This shoe provides great quality at a reasonable price
- Features cushioned soles and heels for comfort
- Supportive mesh upper is breathable and flexible enough to accommodate toe space
- Some wearers said this particular model changed and isn’t as quality as it was before
- Some said the sole cushioning wore out too fast
- Some said the mesh upper wore holes quickly after wear
Sketchers have managed to make a shoe with an amazing stretch mesh on the upper that still has all the support of a regular lace-up sneaker. They hug your foot like a glove for a super comfortable fit, and the flexible mesh accompanied by the heel loop ensures they slip off and on easily whenever you’re ready, but stay put when you’re not.
They feature Skechers’ unique 5Gen cushioning and Goga Max high rebound insole, making them ideal for those who need some extra arch support to alleviate the pain of plantar fasciitis.
The Skechers Women’s Go Walk Joy walking shoe is lightweight, flexible, and includes a soft padded collar and fabric lining. These cute, casual shoes come in 24 colors you’ll love to wear with any everyday outfit out and about at the grocery store, hanging with friends, or just taking a walk.
- Materials: Textile Mesh, Rubber Sole
- Available In Sizes 5-13 Wide
- Available in Multiple Colors
- They feature a flexible, breathable mesh upper to hug your foot and fit perfectly
- These shoes are great for casual, everyday wear
- These shoes contain soft cushioned insoles
- Cushioned support from the soles ensure impact absorption for all-day wear without sore feet
- The mesh upper and heel loop make these shoes easy to slip on and off, yet stay put on your foot
- Some reported they didn’t fit true to size
- Some said they didn’t provide enough ankle support
- Some said they smelled like chemicals upon receiving
These cute walking shoes are designed to easily slip on and off and feature an air cushion sole for extra spring. They’re flexible, breathable, and lightweight, perfect for a lot of walking. (We’re thinking at the airport or a street fair for instance. Or maybe a day at the amusement park… you get the idea.)
The air cushion technology built into the soles lessens impact and is perfect for supporting the arches to ease your plantar fasciitis pain. They’re also slip-resistant for safety, and are a great shoe for that Zumba class!
- Mesh Fabric
- Comes In 22 Different Styles and Colors
- Comes In Sizes 5 ½ – 11
- Very comfortable for walking, including for exercise
- Excellent arch support for plantar fasciitis
- Breathable, lightweight fabric
- Sock shoe design makes it easy to take off and on.
- High platform, cushioned sole designed for comfort
- Some wearers said the shoe wasn’t comfortable for them
- Not made for ankle support
- Some wearers said the mesh fabric was too loose
A Buying Guide To Choosing The Best Walking Shoe For Plantar Fasciitis Relief
What we mean is, time moves fast in the status quo, and shoe technology improves by leaps and bounds year by year. This is great news for those of us who suffer from plantar fasciitis, as there are so many choices out there now (check out the list above for examples) that not only ease symptoms but may also prevent it before it even starts.
It’s helpful to know a little bit about the condition itself before choosing the right shoes for you, so we’ve included some information here that may shed some light on how it happens, why it hurts, and what we can do about it.
What Causes Plantar Fasciitis?
In a nutshell: lots of repeated strain on the plantar fascia, the thick, bowstring-shaped band of tissue connecting your toes to the heel bone.
The plantar fascia acts as shock support during walking and running, and when tension on this tissue becomes great enough, inflammation and small tears will occur.
Risk Factors For Plantar Fasciitis
- High-impact exercise like running, or aerobics
- Jobs that keep you on your feet for extended periods.
- Age plays a factor, it’s most common in individuals 40-60 years old.
- More weight = more foot stress
- Other foot problems like pronation or supination.
- Regularly wearing shoes with poor arch support.
What Can You Do About It?
The stabbing pain that accompanies plantar fasciitis can be alarming if you’re not prepared for it, especially first thing in the morning, as those first steps after a long night’s sleep are usually the most painful.
The pain usually gets better with movement, but once you sit down for a while or stand still for a long period of standing, once you get moving again, it’ll most likely return.
So what are some things we can do to help alleviate the pain of plantar fasciitis and maybe even heal it once and for all?
This may seem obvious, but it bears mentioning. The less stress you put on the plantar fascia, the faster it can heal.
OTC Pain Relievers
Anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen or Aleve are particularly helpful, as they help relieve the irritation as well as the pain.
Icing the area is extremely helpful in treating the inflammation to the plantar fascia, whether it’s with a pack of frozen peas, a back of ice, or our favorite, freeze a plastic water bottle and roll the bottom of your foot over it.
Exercises that give your Achilles tendon and calves a good stretch helps loosen up the plantar fascia, and strength exercises for the foot and lower legs will help you keep it from coming back.
Wear Supportive Shoes, Or Orthotic Inserts (Or Both)
Wearing shoes with adequate arch support is one of the best things you can do, both to help relieve symptoms and prevent plantar fasciitis before it starts.
Wear Night Splints
Night splints pull the toe up, stretching the foot while you sleep. Much like doing stretching exercises, sleeping with night splints provides the stretch the plantar fascia needs for relief and comfort.
If worse comes to worst, your doctor may suggest steroid injections to ease the inflammation.
A Few Words In Closing
Often, when you visit the doctor because the pain of plantar fasciitis has you concerned, the advice he or she will most likely give you is to perform the exercises we outlined above for relief, ice it, stay off your feet as much as possible, and wear shoes with superior support.
For that, we recommend the Skechers Women’s D’Lites Memory Foam Lace-up Sneaker. So many plantar fasciitis sufferers swear by this shoe and the relief it provides from the pain of plantar fasciitis. Try them out for yourself, you won’t be disappointed!